Photobucket

About Me

My photo
Freelance illustrator/ graphic designer . Residing in Sheffield. Working at Arcade. My Portfolio www.getaloadageo.co.uk

Thursday 17 March 2011

Church Pews: Faith


For the past 2 weeks I've been working on a commission by The National Media Museum in Bradford in conjunction with Freedom Studios. The exhibition is based on the theme of Faith and they'd asked me to illustrate loosely around famous locations and images related to Bradford. I'd spent a week researching the city and its famous landmarks as well as listening to recordings from the archives.



The studio managed to acquire a 200 year old oak church pew which they have chopped down into 6 individual seats that can sit 2 people, they even had to recreate the pew ends as closest to authenticity. I'd required them to coat them all in white emulsion (which I thought was sacrilegious to say the least but necessary) and then I allowed myself some time to plan head until I went straight in with marker pens.


The pews are stored in an abandoned mill, in the industrial quarter of Bradford, it's bloody cold in there and I'm constantly having to warm myself up by jumping around whilst listening to my ipod. I've found the best artists for this are Flying Lotus, Wu-Tang Clan and MF Doom. Lots of fun.


These will be on display at the museum by the end of the month and will be accompanied by a leather bound book which will have a miniature speaker inside playing a recording.

Look forward to seeing how they look on display!

No comments: