Photobucket

About Me

My photo
Freelance illustrator/ graphic designer . Residing in Sheffield. Working at Arcade. My Portfolio www.getaloadageo.co.uk

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Wu-Tang vs. Jimi Hendrix Competition

On very short notice I entered a competition hosted by none other than The Wu-Tang Clan to design the new album cover for a mix done by Tom Caruana who's done a series of awesome hip hop mashups and mixes, most notably my personal favourite, Wu-Tang vs. The Beatles . The design brief is for the upcoming Wu-Tang vs. Jimi Hendrix. Instantly I knew I'd have to approach this project with my own take and style, and with a little help from some friends they directed me into using the iconic portrait of Jimi Hendrix . I also thought Purple Haze would have to play a part within the design too.


Eventually I managed to add more emphasis to the psychadelic patterns and purple smoke aswell as refine the faces of the original 9 member of the Wu. I thought putting RZA in the centre was a master stroke, as he is the main member of the clan. The font is one that Jimi Hendrix is known to have used on his previous albums and gig posters.


BUT sadly as of 24th May I found out that the design didn't make the cut, but if you're nosey enough you can see the design that did win the competition if you click here. Hopefully more opportunities like this will crop up in the future. Fingers crossed.

No comments: